Chopped Brussels Sprout Salad with Skinny Blue Cheese Dressing
I can’t remember how many times I’ve complained about this on my blog but I just hate to be intolerant to dairy. In the past two years, I have learned so much about my body and my guts, especially what food they love and what food they would prefer me to avoid. Which is great because now, I know pretty much exactly what I have to eat to feel good and full of energy. And on the other hand, I also know exactly what makes me feel crappy, too. So, let me get this straight. I won’t die or go to the hospital if I eat dairy. Far from it, and that’s why you still see dairy in some of my recipes. But it gives me tummy ache and headache. Oh and pimples too. Yay!
When you know this girl loves cheese and has been eating some all of her life (hello, I’m French!), it’s kind of sad. And when you know just how convenient it is to eat some Greek yogurt with a few blueberries after your workout to get your proteins in, again, it’s sad. Oh well… I guess I can just eat that can of tuna instead, right? Right. As much as I like dairy and cheese, leaving them out is nothing compared to how great I feel when I eat right. So why post this skinny blue cheese dressing (made with blue cheese + Greek yogurt…) anyway? Ah! I guess this time, cheese got the best of me. If not my body, blue cheese seriously makes my brain happy. And I think I can safely say this salad was worth it. If dairy isn’t an issue for you then seriously, run to the kitchen!
Salad + dressing
Cal: 163 - Protein: 6.9g - Fat: 6.7g - Carbs: 23g - Fiber: 7.2g - Sugar: 12.5g
WW Old Points: 4 pts - Points+: 5 pts
Dressing (3 tbsp)
Cal: 46 - Protein: 4.3g - Fat: 2g - Carbs: 2g - Sugar: 1.8g
WW Old Points: 1 pt - Point+: 1 pt
- 14 oz / 400 g Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 apple, skin on, cored, cut into quarters then in cubes
- 2 tbsp shallots, finely chopped (about one small shallot)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 9 oz / 250 g cooked beets (beetroots), peeled, sliced and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (or 3/4 cup if you like it stronger)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- salt to taste
- Shred the Brussels sprouts finely. For that, I like to use my food processor but if you don't have one, you could use a mandoline and simply use a knife and chop them thinly.
- In a large salad bowl, combine Brussels sprouts, apple, shallot, walnuts and beets (see notes about the beets).
- Prepare the dressing. Combine all the ingredients in a blender. (I used my Tribest personal blender, perfect to make dressings!) Blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour 3/4 cup dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately. If you're making this salad ahead, dress it at the last minute.
If you add the beets with the other ingredients, your salad will be a bit red. It won't change the taste, but you might not find it appetizing. You can add them at the end and scatter them once the salad has been served on plates (like I did for the pictures).