Italian Sausage Pasta (with Fusilli or Zucchini Noodles)
Good morning friends! I’m on my way to Quebec City as I type this and I’m suddenly starving, just thinking of this Italian sausage sauce. Doesn’t matter if it’s only 10am, I would still eat it no questions asked. Pasta for snack? Sure, why not!
Sometimes, I question my normality. Normal people don’t get excited by a pasta dish at 10am, right? I sure do, and if you’re like me, we should definitely be Internet friends! We’ve gotta form a sorority or something. We would eat dessert for breakfast, snack on whatever we want and drink pina colada. Mmm I really like the sound of it!
In the meantime, I thought about both of you, the carb lover and the veggie lover/carb phobic and included two version of the same dish. One with fusilli pasta and the other with spiralized pasta. In our mini-family of two, it’s his and hers. Same delicious sauce, same delicious results. Your choice! Enjoy 🙂
Nutritional facts with pasta:
Cal: 787.5 - Protein: 30.6g - Fat: 33g - Carbs: 90.3g - Fiber: 5.6g - Sugar: 12.2g
Nutritional facts with zucchini noodles:
Cal: 449 - Protein: 20g - Fat: 32g - Carbs: 21.8g - Fiber: 4.4g - Sugar: 14.5g
- 4 mild Italian sausages, casing removed, broken in bite-size pieces (about 400 g - 14oz)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 200 g - 7 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- a pinch of hot pepper flakes
- sea salt (optional - to taste)
- 4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan (optional - leave out the keep dairy free)
- about 3/4 cup unpacked fresh basil leaves
- 14 oz - 400 g fusilli pasta (or farfalle, penne or rigatoni)
- OR 4 medium zucchini (peeled or not, to taste)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until onion start to soften. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, oregano and hot pepper flakes. Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta. If you're making regular pasta, boil a big pot of water and cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente; drain. If you're making zucchini pasta, use your spiralizer (I use this one) to form zoodles and set aside.
- Spoon sauce over pasta or zucchini noodles; sprinkle with parmesan if using and basil; serve immediately.
Inspired from Canadian Living magazine "Easy Does It'