Skinny Southwestern Chicken Patties
“Chicken Patties – Third Edition. 1…2…3…ACTION!”
Oh hello, it’s me and I have yet another chicken patties recipe for you. What can I say? Every time I see ground chicken at the supermarket, I instantly have tons of patties combination ideas flooding my head #foodbloggerproblems. And I’m thinking it’s pretty ok. It’s not like I have thousands of decadent dessert ideas either. Not that it would be an issue per se, but my butt and yours wouldn’t thank me. Lean ground chicken however…that’s pretty safe.
Now, I’m not talking about a tasteless chicken breast either. These patties may be skinny, they’re still packed with flavor. Kinda like chicken on steroids. Not steroids, steroids. Just spices steroids. Ok, whatever, just ignore me. They are GOOD!
And you wanna know my secret to keep them extra moist? I’ll tell you anyway. It’s grated zucchini! There’s no way you can tell it’s here, but it will keep the patties from becoming dry and add an extra portion of veggies in your meal. Two patties will keep you full, with less than 250 calories and more than 23 grams of proteins. You and I are going to be sexy on the beach this summer 😉
Cal: 232.5 - Protein: 23.7g - Fat: 12.2g - Carbs: 8g - Fiber: 2.6g - Sugar: 1.8g
WW Old Points: 6 pts - Points+: 5 pts
- 1 lb - 450 g extra lean ground chicken
- 1 extra large egg
- 1/3 cup zucchini, finely grated (about 1 small zucchini)
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- guacamole, to serve (optional)
- In a bowl, add chicken, egg, zucchini, sweet corn, black beans and spices (except salt). Mix until well combined, with a fork or your hands.
- Use your wet hands to form 2 to 2.5 inch wide patties (you'll get about 7). The mixture will be quite runny but the patties hold together very well when cooking, no worries!
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat. When hot, add about 4 or 5 patties, making sure you don't overcrowd the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes. Flip patties and cook for another 5 minutes. You want to cook them gently, so they are brown on the outside and cooked all the way through inside. Repeat with remaining patties, adding olive oil if needed. Serve them warm with guacamole if using (not included in the nutrition facts).
You can use extra lean beef instead of chicken, it's delicious too! I'm pretty sure it would also work with ground turkey but I haven't tried this variation.
More chicken patties recipe: