Skinny Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
I’ve had buffalo sauce on my to-make list for a looong time. I mean, clearly, buffalo wings look amazing so I had to try it. But the thing is, apparently Frank’s RedHot sauce is the one and only hot sauce you should use to make buffalo sauce. That’s what people from Buffalo, NY, USA say anyway. And it wasn’t available in Australia. Bummer.
So I had completely forgot about this little project of mine until one day, Solal comes back from our local Montrealer store and proudly shows me a bottle and says: “Look I’ve found a new hot sauce to try!”. Naturally. Solal + hot sauce? Best friends. I mean… he snacks on hot peppers. It’s his thing.
Anyway, this new hot sauce was…Frank’s RedHot sauce! Coincidence? I don’t think so. It was just a supernatural reminder to finally make a buffalo something. Whoever’s out there, I heard your message loud and clear!
I didn’t think the internet needed yet another recipe for buffalo wings so I set my heart on something a little bit different and, may I say it, a little bit healthier.
Baked sweet potatoes, with a crispy skin and soft flesh, stuffed with shredded chicken soaked in buffalo sauce, drizzled with blue cheese sauce. O.M.G! Seriously. This is comfort food at its best. And you would think this is about 1 million calories per serving, right? But it’s actually only 320 calories each! No, I’m not kidding. And it’s not even a tiny portion. It’s massive! I’m telling you, you just have to try this recipe ASAP. Enjoy! 🙂
Cal: 318 - Protein: 29.8g - Fat: 10.7g - Carbs: 25g - Fiber: 3.9g - Sugar: 8.13g
WW Old Points: 6 pts - 8 pts
- 7 medium sweet potatoes (the ones with the orange flesh), skin on
- 30 oz / 800 g skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 7 tbsp Skinny Blue Cheese dressing ( see the recipe here) - or Ranch dressing
- cilantro or parsley, optional
- 2/3 cup Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Line a large baking sheet with aluminium foil, place sweet potatoes on it and bake for 30 minutes or until flesh is very tender (test with a knife). Turn off the oven and keep the sweet potatoes inside to keep them warm.
- In the meantime, place chicken breasts in a large pot, cover with water and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes. Drain and transfer breasts on a cutting board or a plate. When cool enough to handle, shred using two forks or your fingers.
- In another large pot (you can use the same one you used for the chicken) over medium heat, combine hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder. Add butter and whisk while it's melting. When butter is incorporated, stir in cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water. Whisk until sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and add shredded chicken. Mix thoroughly to cover chicken with sauce.
- Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven, cut them in half lengthwise (without cutting them all the way down so that the two parts stay attached together) and stuff them with shredded buffalo chicken. Drizzle one tablespoon of blue cheese sauce on each sweet potato. Top with fresh herbs if using. Serve immediately.