Gingersnaps and Sauteed Apples Parfait
I’m happy to share with you my very first recipe developed and photographed here in Canada! Woohoo! We are still staying in an Airbnb apartment at the moment – we’re moving in our apartment on Saturday – and while the kitchen is pretty well equipped for a rental, it’s pretty limited when you’re a food blogger 🙂
So for this very first recipe, I tried to keep things pretty simple. I dreamed a similar recipe a few months ago when we were still living in Sydney. It was winter for me, and the middle of summer in the Northern Hemisphere so I had to wait a little to turn what I had in my mind into reality. I was imagining a parfait with gingerbread cookies instead of gingersnaps but couldn’t find any in stores. Aren’t they traditional Christmas cookies in Canada? Please Canucks, fill me in! 🙂
Normally I would have made them myself but my pantry is very limited at the moment (understand, almost empty) and I’m waiting for my baker’s set from Amazon to arrive. I simply have nothing to bake, ingredients or gear. So gingersnaps it was, and I’m still very happy with how the parfaits came out. The spices – ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon- give you your dose of holiday magic and the balance of textures – crispy, creamy and soft – is perfect.
Just make sure you assemble them at the very last minute, like, literally just before serving them, to make sure you get this perfect texture. Other than that, easy peasy + delicious.
Here’s to more Canadian recipes! 🙂
P.S: Maybe you don’t know me yet – I moved from Australia to Canada a few weeks ago and here’s the story!
Cal: 349.5 - Protein: 23g - Fat: 5.6g - Carbs: 54.6g - Fiber: 2.5g - Sugar: 39.6g
WW Old Points: 7 pts - Points+: 9 pts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I like to use a different variety of apples for a more complex flavor)
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp ground cinnamon - to taste
- 3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp honey
- 10 gingersnap cookies - homemade or store-bought (see notes), broken into chunks
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add apples, cloves and cinnamon. Stir to cover all apple pieces with the spices. Arrange the apples in one single layer, if possible. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 to 8 minutes or until soft, without stirring too much to allow the apples to brown slightly. If apples start to brown too much and are not cooked yet, reduce heat to medium-low and keep cooking until soft. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey with Greek yogurt.
- In a small glass, layer in that order: Greek yogurt (about 1/4 cup), apples (about 1/4 cup), a few pieces of gingersnaps (about 1 1/4 cookies), greek yogurt (about 1/4 cup) and apples (about 1/4 cup). Finish with a dollop of greek yogurt and a few pieces of gingersnaps. (You should use about 2.5 cookies per serving). Repeat with three other glasses.
- Serve immediately, to make sure the cookies remain crispy. If you want to make this recipe ahead, prepare the apples and Greek yogurt but cut the cookies and assemble the parfaits at the very last minute, just before serving.
If you don't want to buy gingersnap cookies and prefer a healthier homemade version, you could try these paleo gingersnap cookies from Against All Grain. I made them before and they're delicious!