Healthy Peach BBQ Pulled Chicken
After making yet another batch of this peach BBQ pulled chicken for dinner tonight, I can confirm two things. It’s pretty scrumptious and it’s definitely one easy meal to prepare. Don’t be fooled by the one hour+ total time because during most of this time, you actually don’t have anything to do. To make the sauce, simply combine all the ingredients in a pot and simmer for one hour – the only prep being peeling and chopping two garlic cloves. You’ve done more difficult than that, I’m sure! While the sauce is cooking, prepare the shredded chicken. Again very easy! Add some chicken breast in another pot, cover with water and cook for about 30 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked, you’ll just have to shred it using two forks. When the sauce is done, you combine the two and tada it’s ready! You can serve it with buns, as shown on the first picture or simply “naked” with a side of veggies or a salad. Both ways are delicious.
Most of the BBQ sauce recipes you’ll come across contain refined sugar but not this one! Thanks to the peaches, there’s no need to add any, as they act as a natural sweetener. When buying your canned peaches, make sure you choose the one in juice and not the one in syrup because fruits in syrup always have added sugar in. You could probably use fresh peaches if they are in season where you live but I haven’t tried. If you decide to give it a go, my guess is that you should peel them first and add about one cup of water to replace the juice. Anyways, I hope you’ll try this recipe soon! Enjoy 🙂
Cal: 259 - Protein: 33g - Fat: 5.3g - Carbs: 19.8g - Fiber: 2.8g - Sugar: 15.8g
WW Old Points: 5 pts - Points+: 6 pts
- 2 lb - 900 g chicken breast
- 1 28-oz (800 g) can peaches in juice (not in syrup, to avoid added sugar)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Combine all the sauce ingredients (including peaches' juice) in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for one hour. Transfer sauce to a blender or a food processor and pulse until the sauce reaches a very smooth consistency. If you have an immersion blender, it's even easier, you can blend the sauce directly in the saucepan. Set aside.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare chicken. Place chicken breast in another pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is very tender and no longer pink inside. Drain water, transfer cooked chicken on a cutting board and shred it using two forks (use one fork to hold the chicken steady and the other one to tear it apart).
- Transfer shredded chicken in the sauce and mix well to coat. Serve as is or as sliders in a bun (not included in nutrition facts).
- The sauce would be great with beef and pork too!
- You could use fresh peaches (about 6 medium) but I haven't tried. If you give this a try, peel them first and add one cup water to the sauce.
- Adapted from Civilized Caveman Cooking