If you ever come to Normandy one day, you’ll quickly understand that creme fraiche is a very serious business there. You will find some in almost all the traditional recipes. Creme fraiche from Normandy is famous throughout France and one of the best French creme fraiche is made in a little town called Isigny from the finest regional milk. Creme fraiche adds great flavor and texture to any dish but there’s one teeny tiny problem. It’s not really…ahem…healthy. Not at all actually. So what’s a girl to do when she wants to share a traditional Normandy tart with you? She twists it and make it healthier!
Normandy Apple Custard Tart is made of big apple chunks (another Normandy specialty!), covered with a mixture of creme fraiche, eggs, almond meal and sugar. For this recipe, I didn’t use creme fraiche the traditional recipe calls for but Greek yogurt. I found that the taste is still delicious while dramatically reducing the fat content and the calories. Win win!
On Friday, I’ll share some pictures of my vacation in Normandy. Stay tuned!
Cal: 207 - Protein: 6.4g - Fat: 7.6g - Carbs: 30g - Fiber: 2g - Sugar: 22.9g
WW Old Pts: 4 pts - Point+: 6 pts
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1.5 lb / 700 g apples (like Red Delicious or Granny Smith)
- 1/2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp sliced almonds (also called flaked almonds)
- Preheat oven to 430F/220C.
- Line a 9-inch tart pan with puff pastry (I used a non-stick loose bottom quiche pan like this one). Trim excess and pierce pastry with a fork.
- Peel and core apples, cut them into quarters and then into cubes. Arrange on pastry. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add in almond meal and yogurt and whisk again. Pour mixture over apples, making sure it's evenly distributed. Top with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 25 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes to let the tart set. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and serve with vanilla ice-cream or creme fraiche (or both!).
You can also use shortcrust pastry.