OH LORD! This recipe… It’s probably the best thing that ever happened to chicken drumsticks in my kitchen yet. And I mean it. I realize that I always say that when I post a new recipe. It’s always the best/my favorite recipe yet. I can’t help it, I’m always enthusiastic when it comes to good food. So let’s clarify my statement. It’s the best sweet and savory chicken drumstick recipe I’ve made so far. Fair enough?
Oh wait! Maybe I should start with this: what’s chicken Marbella? Thanks for asking! Well, chicken Marbella is a Spanish inspired chicken dish made with prunes, olives, capers (don’t worry, you can leave them out!), white wine, sugar (or honey!) and other ingredients. The chicken is marinated overnight which makes it uber flavorful! (did I just use the word uber? Gosh, I think I need a nap)
Some people out there are not fans of sweet and savory combinations, I know that. Others are grossed out by prunes. Obviously these folks won’t get excited by this recipe, but that’s all right, I can take it. There’s another category of people who think they won’t like this combination. Because let’s face it, it can be unusual and weird for some palates. I suggest we trick them. Example: you invite some friends over for dinner and you don’t tell them what you’ll make (otherwise they might not come, you never know…). Once they tried – and obviously loved it – TADA you tell them what’s actually in there and boom we have new believers. I love this trick method, it always works! If you’re still reading, I guess I don’t need to convince you, right? So let’s get this marinade ready!
Nutrition facts for two drumsticks + sauce:
Cal: 627 - Protein: 48g - Fat: 31g - Carbs: 37g - Fiber: 5.8g - Sugar: 20g
WW Old Points: 14 pts - Points+: 16 pts
Nutrition facts for one drumstick + sauce:
Cal: 313 - Protein: 24g - Fat: 15g - Carbs: 18g - Fiber: 2.9g - Sugar: 10.3g
WW Old Points: 7 pts - Points+: 8 pts
- 6 large chicken drumsticks
- 3/4 cup prunes, halved
- 3/4 cup pimiento stuffed olives, halved
- 2 tbsp capers, with brine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (honey for paleo)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped - to serve (optional)
- The night before, prepare the marinade. In a large ziplock bag, combine all marinade ingredients (chicken, prunes, olives, capers, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano), shake well to make sure the chicken is well coated and all the ingredients are equally distributed. Marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 380F. Arrange chicken in a baking dish and cover with marinade. Pour wine around chicken and sprinkle with sugar (or honey if using). Bake between one hour and one hour and a half (depending on your oven) or until chicken is cooked through (it took me 1:20 to get it done)
Hey, don't be afraid of the capers! If that's not your thing, just leave them out.
You might also like:
Click on the link or picture to see the recipe