This beef osso buco is hands down the tastiest meal I have ever cooked with a slow-cooker. Honestly, it totally blows my mind. Solal and Meriam (my friend visiting us in Sydney) gave it rave reviews and where super excited to have some twice in a row for dinner last week. The sauce is probably what we liked best. It’s made of balsamic vinegar, tomato paste and tomato sauce, along with a few fresh basil leaves and some garlic cloves. Everything tastes better with garlic and basil in my book! The flavors are so deep… you’re going to love it! Try it with mashed potatoes and you’ll go straight to heaven, I’m telling you!
Beef shank is a cheap cut of meat that can be a bit tough when not cooked properly. Thanks to the slow cooking method however, the meat is very tender and delicious. All in all, this recipe is very budget-friendly: the only ‘pricey’ ingredient is balsamic vinegar but you only use 1/4 cup. I love the fact that you can feed your family an outstanding dinner for so little. This is also a dish I would serve at a dinner party without hesitation.
Cal: 440 - Protein: 57g - Fat: 13g - Carbs: 20g - Fiber: 16g - Sugar: 12g
WW Old Points: 9 pts - Points+: 10 pts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 pieces of beef osso buco (beef shanks)
- 4 small carrots, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, cut in half and germ removed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet on high heat. Brown each piece of meat on both sides and transfer to crock-pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, add carrots and garlic, and cook for about 1 minutes. Transfer to crock-pot.
- In a bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, tomato sauce and basil leaves. Pour over meat in crock-pot.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
You might also like:
Click on the link or picture to see the recipe