Beef and Eggplant Casserole
Oh my, the past three weeks have been crazy! First, I had to move my blog to a new host. My former one emailed me a few weeks ago basically saying that my blog had too many visitors and they couldn’t handle it anymore. Sounds like a good news, right? Having more and more people coming over here makes me happy, that’s for sure! But switching host is definitely a hassle, big time! I don’t how I could have done it without my tech boyfriend Solal. Well, actually I know. I couldn’t, so I would have had to hire someone and it would have cost me an arm and a leg. *I’m lucky to have a geek at home* Now it’s all done but I lost the last three recipes in the process 🙁 Fortunately, I had written down everything in my recipe drafts book, but it’s a mess and I’m currently trying to understand what those signs and arrows mean. I’m just hoping I didn’t make any last minute changes in the recipes because obviously I don’t remember it.
Besides from my technical adventures, we were also looking for a new home! We had to leave our current apartment by the end of August and needed a new one. I honestly couldn’t say how many emails I wrote and phone calls I made to real estate agents. And I think we are close to 20, if not 30 inspections. I may sound like a very difficult person looking for the perfect place that doesn’t exist, but actually I was just looking for a decent dog friendly apartment. And apparently 90% of the units in center Sydney are not pet friendly. When they were, they were either crappy or too small – at least in our price range. So I decided to temporarily burry my dream of having a Boxer dog and we’ve finally found a place I’m very excited about. If you know Sydney, we are moving from Darlinghurst to Paddigton. It’s a lovely area with beautiful houses and shops, and the biggest park of Sydney is about 2 seconds away. Perfect for weekend picnics 🙂 I’ll give you a tour of the neighborhood soon! We’re moving on Monday , I can’t wait for all this to be over so I can finally relax a bit!
Recipe adapted from Elle à Table
Cal: 426 - Protein: 35g - Fat: 23g - Carbs: 17.5g - Sugar: 7.3g - Fiber: 10g
WW Old Points: 10 pts - Points+: 10 pts
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 eggplants, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- About half a bunch of fresh basil, leaves chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup grated light mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp olive oil and cook eggplant slices for about 5 minutes on each side and set aside. Cook them in batches and add some olive oil when necessary.
- While eggplants are cooking, prepare the beef mixture. Heat another skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook garlic for about 1 minute (do not let it brown), then add ground beef and break it into pieces with a wooden spatula. Cook for about 5 minutes and add marinara sauce. Stir well and cook another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add basil. Drain excess liquid to make sure you don't end up with a soggy casserole.
- In a baking dish (I used a square baking dish), arrange one layer of eggplant, one layer of beef mixture and one layer of parmesan cheese. Repeat (eggplant, then beef, then parmesan) and finish with a layer of eggplant. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and starts to be crispy. Serve immediately.