Remember the eggplant rolls I posted a few weeks ago? Well, I really liked them and decided to make a second version. This time, there’s no tomato and basil involved but prosciutto, prune and almond instead. Oh, and I added a delicious balsamic reduction. Same wrap, different filling, yummy in both cases. This prune and prosciutto eggplant rolls recipe is more sophisticated but as easy. Once you have the grilled eggplants ready, it literally takes 5 minutes to assemble the rolls. And you can definitely grill them ahead – that’s what I did.
My mum arrived in Sydney yesterday evening! She visiting us for three weeks and it had been almost a year since I last saw her so I couldn’t be more excited!
Have a beautiful week
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 12 thin slices of prosciutto, all visible fat removed
- 12 prunes
- 12 dry roasted almonds
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Start by preparing the grilled eggplant slices. Cut eggplants lengthwise into thin slices. You should be able to get at least 6 slices out of each eggplant. Brush each side of the slices with olive oil. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. When hot, spray with a little cooking spray and cook eggplant, slice by slice, until cooked through and grilled. If you have a BBQ that would be even better! Let the slices cool down a bit and drizzle with lemon juice. Season with salt to taste.
- Prepare the balsamic reduction. Pour balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until vinegar has reduced by at least half. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the rolls. Cut prosciutto slices in half and stuff prunes with almonds. Arrange an eggplant slice on a plate. Add prosciutto slices, then stuffed prunes and fold up the eggplant.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve.
If the eggplants rolls are very large, you can use two stuffed prunes (like I did on the pics)