You know those nights when you’re craving a big fat pizza? And then you remember that it’s loaded with carbs and you start feeling guilty about having some for dinner? Well, those boats were born out of this state of mind. They have -almost- all you love in a pizza minus the crust. By using zucchini instead of grain-based crust you save A LOT on the calorie/carb bill and that means that you get to eat a double portion of cheese!
For a least a month and a half, I’ve basically given up on dairy but on occasions I still love me some good melted cheese. And those boats are loaded with cheese. As you can see, I used a baking sheet instead of a baking dish. Yes, it’s messy but I totally made it on purpose. You see, I wanted the cheese to melt all over the sheet so I can “clean” it by the spoonful. I’m sneaky – and totally glutton too.
Cal: 249.8 - Protein: 30.8g - Fat: 9.75g - Carbs: 10.6g - Fiber: 2.78 - Sugar: 6.6g
WW Old Points: 5 pts - Points+: 6 pts
- 6 small zucchini
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 7 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I used passata)
- 2 cups reduced fat shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Slice zucchini in half, and carve them out with a spoon. Chop the zucchini 'meat' and set it aside. Line zucchini boats on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or arrange in a baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Cook garlic for about 1 minute then add zucchini meat. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes then add mushrooms and cook for an additional minute. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain as much liquid as possible. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce with 1/2 cup chopped basil. Spread about 1/2 tablespoon sauce per boat. Stuff with meat mixture and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and starts to be crispy. Remove from the oven and top with remaining basil. Serve immediately.
Leave out cheese for paleo friendly.