I don’t know how to start. Shall I begin with my obsession with guacamole and pita chips? If you follow me on Facebook (if you don’t , click here!) you already know that. But can I say it again? I could feed on guacamole and pita chips for the rest of my life.
I make my guac with avocado, a lot of red onion, a pinch of salt and sometimes a splash of lime. That’s all, I like to keep it simple. There’s something special and addictive about this avocado/onion combination. Serve pita chips with it and I’m in heaven. That reminds me of this song from Sinatra, you know, the one that goes like ‘heaven, I’m in heaven…’. love-Love it! Totally irrelevant but I had to mention it. Unfortunately they don’t sell Stacy’s pita chips (my absolute favorites) here in Australia so I have to make my own. And well, it’s not such a bad thing because I like to make everything from scratch when possible and it’s honestly very easy. If you have a toaster, well, it’s as easy as toasting a slice of bread. Yep, you know my secret now, I make my pita chips by toasting some pita bread. Couldn’t get easier, right? So now I always have pita bread in the pantry, ready to make chips, pizza (I use it as my base!), or…wraps! Those shrimp avocado wraps are clearly Mexican-inspired but I decided to use pita bread instead of tortilla, because that’s what I had on hand. Of course if you want to use tortilla, they’ll be just as good!
PS: I think I used the words ‘pita bread’ like 10 times in this post. Sorry about that.
Cal: 393 - Protein: 16.3 - Fat: 17.15g - Carbs: 49.8g - Fiber: 13g - Sugars: 3.72g
- 1/3 cup bell pepper (red or green), chopped
- 1 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 1/2 ripe avocado, cubed (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, chopped (about 10 small shrimps)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large wholemeal pita bread
- 3/4 cup baby spinach
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, except pita and spinach. Mix well.
- Arrange half the spinach in the center of pita bread. Spread shrimp and avocado mixture, add remaining spinach on top and wrap pita bread tightly. Secure with toothpicks, cut in half with a sharp knife and serve immediately.
Use a tortilla if that's what you have on hand, it will be just as good.
You might also like: