Easy Homemade Bounty Bars aka Mounds (step-by-step recipe)

Homemade Bounty aka Mounds

It’s Friday today! And you know what it means, right? It’s the end of the week so you can INDULGE! And for that, I have the perfect recipe for you. Chocolate + sweetened condensed milk + coconut. That’s all it takes to make delicious yet super simple homemade Bounty Bars aka Mounds. Want Bounty bars? Use milk chocolate. Want Mounds bars? Use dark chocolate. As simple as that!

Homemade Bounty aka Mounds

I don’t know about you, but I love making goodies from scratch. It usually tastes way better and you know exactly what goes in it. Win win. Take homemade pesto, or homemade peanut butter for instance. Guys, I will never ever buy those from the store again now that I’ve tried to make them from scratch! (well,hum, I’m partially lying here. I did buy a jar of PB last month. BUT in my defense, I had no food processor since we had just arrived in Sydney. So it doesn’t count, right?). Anyway, all I’m saying is those homemade bounty bars aka mounds are good, very good!

And if you don’t trust me, ask Solal. He usually doesn’t like Bounty Bars but raves for those homemade ones. Convinced now?
I wish I could send some to my mom, these are her favorite candies :)

Homemade Bounty aka Mounds

Have a beautiful weekend everyone! I will be hunting (?!) for a Christmas tree. Sounds easy, but not in Sydney, trust me. FYI today’s temperature = 100F = I.AM.GOING.TO.DIE. See next week, if I survived.

Easy Homemade Bounty aka Mounds

Prep Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: Makes about 12 bars

Serving Size: 1 bar

Cal: 191 - Protein: 4g - Fat: 12.3g - Carbs: 21.7g - Fiber: 2.7g - Sugar: 17.3g - WW Old Points: 4 pts - Points+: 6 pts

Ingredients

• 15 oz milk cooking chocolate
  • 3 cups shredded coconut
  • 1 cup sweetened condensed milk

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix coconut and sweetened condensed milk to make a thick and sticky paste.
  2. Using your hands, form some rectangles with the paste. Press firmly to make sure the rectangles will keep their shape. Every 3 or 4 rectangles, wash your hands and do not dry them completely. That way, the paste won't stick on your hands.
  3. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This will make the candy easier to dip in chocolate. Don't skip this part or it'll be a mess!
  4. In the meantime, cut chocolate in pieces and put 2/3 of it in a microwave safe bowl.
  5. Microwave on medium power for 30 seconds, stir, then repeat in 15 seconds interval until the chocolate has melted. (If you prefer to melt chocolate on the stove top, place a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan filled with simmering water. On low heat, stir chocolate until melted (allow a few minutes). Ensure the chocolate avoids contact with water and steam whilst melting).
  6. Add 1/3 remaining chocolate and keep stirring until it is fully melted. It's called tempering chocolate. It will allow the chocolate to have a glossy texture and to set correctly.
  7. It's time for dipping now! Remove rectangles from the freezer. If you want to take you time, you can work with one rectangle at a time and leave the others in the freezer. Using two forks, dip one rectangle in melted chocolate and roll it to cover all sides.
  8. Using one fork, remove rectangle from chocolate. With the other fork, remove excess chocolate and arrange your bounty on a lined baking sheet.
  9. Allow a few hours for the chocolate cover to set (time will vary according to where you live, how warm is your house etc.) and ENJOY!

Notes

They will last up to 5 days in a air-tight container. After that, they'll start to dry. You can also keep them in the fridge but they'll dry much faster and harden a bit, I don't recommend it.

Free 4-Week Meal Plan + Shopping List - NotEnoughCinnamon.com

posted in Desserts, Recipes, Snacks,

47 Comments

• Mercedes says:

Mounds are one of my favorite candy bars and these look like an exact replica!

• Vespa Woolf says:

What a straight-forward and irresistible recipe! I plan to try these with dark chocolate. Thank you1

• Catherine Mae says:

Add some almonds ontop, wala almond joy! mmm, have to make these for part of our christmas treats to send home with our family that comes over :) my niece and nephew will definately love these!

• Richard says:

Is it made with unsweetened coconut? I’m anxious to try it with chopped toasted almonds added.

• Morten says:

Lovely!
    Though to be honest I thought they were quite sweet even with 85% dark chocolate. Next time I’ll probably do them with 50/50 sweetened / unsweetened condensed milk. And since they only keep 5 days (no way anyone could leave these 5 days) I would probably also do them with fresh grated coconut.

Metric:
    400 gram chocolate (I used 300 gram and had plenty extra)
    300 gram coconut
    400 gram (sweetened) condensed milk

• Marie says:

You could also try using less sweetened condensed milk. The idea is just to use enough of it to make the coconut stick together. And I bet it would be delicious with fresh coconut too!

• Kasia says:

Wow brilliant idea! Need to try that once!

• Josika says:

wow amazing recipes on ur blog. i want to ask u if i can use just condensed milk or the sweetened one on the bounty bars. they look amazing. simple and easy to follow. my uncle loves bounty and i wanted to make it for him. he’s going to have a surprise. thanks

• Josika says:

hi its me again i want to ask u another question : can i use normal chocolate or do i have to use the cooking chocolate? pls answer

• Josika says:

thank u soooo much for ur reply’s. i made them and gave it to my uncle and he was going away somewhere near london and he literally took the whole lot with him. unbelievable. had amazing fun with my bro to make the bounties. i am definitely going to have another try. “FABULOUS”

• Nisha says:

gotta gotta gotta make this!
    this just looks time-consuming but very easy…and barely 3 ingredients!
    thanks for sharing…!!!

• leila says:

MMMM….yummo! Bounty bars here I come! Thank you for the quick recipe! simply wonderful haha!

• Haley says:

Oh my god these with white chocolate are absolutly gorgeous :)

• Amy says:

Hey there,
    Im excited to make these for my mom but a quick question before I take on the endeavor… It looks as if the coconut mixture is a little wet after mixing with the condensed milk. Will that dry up enough in the freezing process?

• Marie says:

Hi Amy! The coconut mixture is indeed a bit wet, it’s normal. You need to follow the quantity precisely to make sure it’s not too dry or too wet so the bounties don’t fall appart when you dip them in the chocolate. Let me know if you have any other questions :) hope your mom is going to love them!

• Josika says:

hi marie,
    its josika again as it’s fathers day tomorrow i thought that i could make these bounty bars for everyone at my church and there all 45 in total if u don’t mind can u please send me the quantity of the ingredients i should put in the mixture please get to me asap thank u very much
    josika xoxo

• Josika says:

i meant 45 people in total

• Josika says:

sorry marie make that 55 people as i missed some out sorry?!?!

• Josika says:

please rply asap

• Josika says:

marie can u pls reply asap bcos i have to go shopping in an hour

• Marie says:

Hey Josika, to make that for 55 people you just need to multiply the quantity by 5… That makes 4.5 lb chocolate, 15 cups shredded coconut and 5 cups sweetened condensed milk.
      Next time you need me to answer quickly contact me via Facebook.

• Josika says:

thank u 4 ur reply. thanks very much. i don’t have facebook btw (no-one in my family do) sorry if i kept bugging u 4 ur reply thanks a lot though. i made the bounty bars today, it was fun making it and everyone at church loved it, it got empty completely so i am very happy thank a lot again 4 ur reply

josika x

• Susanne says:

I just made these and want to join in the chorus of praise.

I made some adjustments as I’m allergic to dairy, and thought I’d share:

instead of sweetened condensed milk, I used the thick, creamy top layer of a tin of coconut milk, some coconut fat and some powdered sugar. No exact measurements, I just mixed them up until I liked the thickness and flavour. Then added the grated coconut and used semi-sweet, non-dairy chocolate to coat.

And let me just say, they turned out amazingly. I’m definitely going to keep making these and also will be sharing this recipe with all my friends!
    Thanks!

• Marie says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I’ve -almost- given up on dairy (my body doesn’t react well to it) so I’ll be trying this dairy free version for sure. Is coconut oil/butter the same as the coconut fat you mention?

• Josie says:

If you are on a vegan diet, then the coconut milk or coconut cream would be great.
    For the chocolate part, I will use carob chunks en melt them with a little coconut milk.
    I use the melted carob on biscuits and it firms up nicely – dark in colour. Intend making these bars today still. Thanks a lot – it really looks fantastic and I am a bounty fan.

• Efthymia says:

Made them for my birthday, to serve as a treat at work. I could have made a thousand of them and still there would be no leftovers! Thank you so much for the recipe, it made my (birth)day!

• marie says:

Aww that’s awesome!! I’m so glad you had a yummy birthday thanks to these Bounty. Next time, ask your coworkers to make them for you on your special day ;) Happy belated birthday!!

• tammy says:

wondering if anyone has tried freezing them, so as too make a couple weeks ahead of time?

• marie says:

Hi Tammy! I’ve never tried so I’m not sure. I would only freeze the coconut/condensed milk bars and cover them with chocolate when you’re ready to eat them.

• Sandi says:

My Mom used to make something like these. Instead of a roll shape she’d shape into strawberry shapes,
        freeze for 20 mins. or so then roll them in strawberry jello POWDER SUGAR. Then add a little green icing for the stem.
        These look very festive at Christmas and are so good.

• marie says:

It sounds very yummy and I’m sure it looks perfect for the holidays!

• Brittany says:

Has anyone tried freezing them? I want to save them for Xmas but don’t want them to be dry either! Let me know if it was chocolate covered or not. Thank you

• marie says:

I’ve never tried freezing them so I can’t be a 100% sure but I think it would work well. I would freeze without the chocolate cover to be on the safe side.

• nADIYA says:

If you added a bit of vanilla extract and a bit of rum or cognac it would taste just like bounties from the store.

• marie says:

I’m sure it would be delicious indeed! But honestly, I think that they already taste like the ones from the store ;)