Someone lied to me. Someone told me it was always sunny and warm in Australia. As I’m facing the window, writing this post, I feel like I’ve been misled. All I can see is rain. And I wrapped myself in a throw. Ok, I really feel the cold, but come on! This is not the weather I was supposed (willing?) to have in Sydney! It’s the beginning of Spring, but it feels like Fall (not in the
good delicious – pumpkin, soup and hot casseroles- way). Now that I think about it, there’s a few coconut trees in front of me. Maybe I’m in some tropical place and it’s monsoon season. Let’s say I’m in Thailand. I’d love to visit Thailand. And Asia, in general. Did I ever mentioned that one of my dreams would be to tour Asia? It wouldn’t be a regular tour, but a food-oriented tour. Just the thought of it makes me salivate. OK but right now, I’m in Australia, and I’m already very thankful for that. So what about inviting Thailand in our kitchens? Making this delicious Thai Chicken Open Faced Sandwich is the perfect way to do so! (scroll down to see the recipe). And if it’s not enough, you could also go for my Asian Lettuce Wraps.
The pics you’re seeing were the only ones I was able to save from a total shooting disaster. I did not bring my tripod with me and almost all the pictures were blurry. Now buying a new tripod is -one of- my number one priorities! In the meantime, would you be indulgent?
Now, let’s tour Sydney together!
This is a pic I took at 6 AM from the airport at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I must say it was quite frustrating having to stay inside…
In Sydney, taking the ferry is as common as taking the bus or the train. People use the ferry to go home.
See the bridge in the background? It’s Sydney Harbour Bring. I love it, it’s just magnificent.
Do I need to introduce this building?
From the outside
From the inside (see the monorail?)
Real people actually live there. I know, you’re jealous. Me too.
This is the tourist side of Sydney. Next, I’ll try to show you some things you won’t find on Google Images, promise.
And now, back to that Thai Chicken Open Faced Sandwich, shall we?
KCal: 207 - Protein: 13.7g - Fat: 7.15g - Carbs: 23g - Fiber: 2.8g - Sugar: 7.2g
- 2 larges chicken breasts
- 4 cups fat free chicken stock
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp sriracha (more or less to taste)
- 2 tsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 slices whole grain bread of your choice
- 3/4 cup carrots, grated
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp peanuts, chopped
- Poach chicken breasts. Place chicken breasts in a saucepan and cover with stock. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes on medium heat. Remove from pan. Using two forks, shred chicken and allow it to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine hoisin sauce, lime, sriracha, peanut butter, garlic, ginger, honey and mix well. Add in shredded chicken and mix to cover with sauce.
- Toast bread slices. Place 1/4 of chicken per slice, top with carrots, then peanuts, cilantro and sesame seeds. Serve immediately!