I know what you think… Evaporated milk? Again? Isn’t it the 10th time she’s using some in her recipes? Well, I must admit, I might use evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk on a regular basis… But, hey, those products are simply amazing! Take the evaporated milk for instance. It’s a wonderful way to lighten up a dish that calls for cream — and that’s precisely what I’m doing here, with this skinny cream of mushroom soup! Honestly you won’t miss the heavy cream at all. It’s the same deliciousness, but you save hundreds of calories. Don’t you love that? I was thinking, that would be funny to blind test some people and let them taste this skinny soup along with the regular one that calls for heavy cream. I’m sure no one would tell the difference!
I’m very busy those days (I’ll tell you very soon why — I’m so excited!!!) so I’ll keep this post short, but I just wanted to let you know that I bought myself a new lens and I love it! It’s like a whole new world is opening to me. Hopefully I’ll be able to improve my food photography and tempt you to try my recipes out, like for real. And when you do, remember that receiving comments or emails makes me supper happy, and I’m always willing to get feedbacks on my recipes.
Cal: 157 - Protein: 12.53g - Fat: 3.59g - Carbs: 21.3g - Fiber: 2.3g - Sugar: 13.4g - WW Old Points: 3 pts - Points+: 4 pts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 shallots, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2.5 lb regular white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups water with 1 fat free bouillon cube (or 2 cups fat free chicken stock)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups fat free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Heat a soup pot on medium heat and add butter. Let it slightly melt and add shallots. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring regularly, until it reduces by half.
- Stir in water and bouillon cube (or stock) and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and, using an immersion blender, blend mushrooms until totally smooth, with no chunks remaining. Stir in cornstarch and evaporated milk, and mix well. Return to the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with chopped walnuts and freshly cracked pepper.
Nutritional info do not include walnuts.