Fig Chutney

Fig Chutney

Chutney is one of my favorite ways to eat figs. I love how the spices and the raisins enhance their taste.

I know fig chutney sounds a little bit like Christmas, but I eat some all year round, using fresh figs if they are in season or frozen if they’re not. This stuff is so good you shouldn’t wait for Santa to make some! Not to mention your house will smell amazingly good.

Fig Chutney

You can serve some fig chutney with white meat, it’s absolutely delicious. But go crazy and use it also as a spread. It’s a childish way to take your sandwich to the next level! Remember that amazing gourmet sandwich I told you about last week? I used fig chutney! I’ll post the recipe soon.

Fig Chutney

Fig Chutney

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes

Yield: Makes one 9 oz jar, about 1 1/2 cup

Serving Size: 2 tablespoons

Cal: 56.75 - Protein: 0.37g - Fat: 0.1g - Carbs: 14.1g - Fiber: 0.9g - Sugar: 12.1g- WW
Old Points: 1 pts - Point+: 2 pts

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup brow sugar, unpacked
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cups figs (fresh or frozen), stems removed and quartered
  • 1/3 cup apple, diced
  • 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/3 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground clove
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Soak raisins in a bowl of hot water for 10 minutes.
  2. In a saucepan, melt sugar with vinegar. Add figs, apple, onion, raisins, salt and spices (ginger, clove and nutmeg).
  3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook for about an hour, stirring frequently.
  4. Put into a jar and store in a dry place.

Notes

Recipe adapted from french Elle à Table magazine.

Everyday Healthy eCookbook from Pinch of Yum
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Couscous & Consciousness says

Totally have to try this chutney. I adore figs, and I’m lucky enough to have a neighbour with a very prolific fig tree who is happy for me to raid the tree as they don’t eat them. I have several months to wait for that to happen (it’s winter here), but I’ve bookmarked this for when the season arrives.

Beautiful photos.

2. Marie says

You are very lucky indeed! I bet you have enough figs to freeze some and enjoy them all year round, don’t you?
    I’ve seen that you live in New Zealand! I’ll be moving to Australia in a couple of months, so I’ll be experiencing reverse seasons too!!
    Thanks for the photos :)

3. Sean says

We make something similar, but we also add a little chili flake. The heat along with the spices and the fruitiness is wonderful.

• Marie says

This sounds delicious indeed, thanks for sharing this idea! I’ll definitively try that next time I’m making some (that is to say, very soon)

4. Leila says

Yum! I have about a cup of fresh figs right now and this looks like the perfect recipe for them! I’m not big on actual canning…How long will this last in the fridge just after it’s made??

• Marie says

At least one month for sure, and maybe even two. But I couldn’t tell for sure because it always disappears very fast from my fridge! But make sure to save some until wednesday so you can try a delicious sandwich recipe I’m so excited to share! :)

5. Evie says

We had a fig tree in our backyard growing up, and they were so yummy fresh off the tree. It’s been a long time, but I still miss them. If I can find some figs, I’m going to try this.

6. Esther says

i HAVE A BUCKET OF FIGS BOUGHT TO ME BY MY NEIGHBOUR I AM GOING AWAY TOMORROW BUT FIGS ARE TOO GOOD SO i AM BOTTLING THEM NOW YAY I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA AND THE FIGS GROW TWICE A YEAR AND HUNDREDS OF THEM CURRENTLY A 42% DAY BEEN IN THE POOL WITH MY GRANDKIDS

• marie says

I live in Australia (Sydney) too Esther! The weather is just great, I have to agree with you!! Enjoy the figs when you’re back!

7. Sydney says

We, too, have a prolific fig tree and need more than just a fig jam recipe in order to not waste all the figs. We just tried making this chutney recipe. Thank you for the good directions; yes, it’s a simple process but I appreciate straightforward.
    So I think it turned out very nicely. The combination of ingredients thickened up just like it’s supposed to and has a nice paste consistency. I like that it has a savory background taste in conjunction with the spices and I’m looking forward to topping some rotisserie chicken with it.
    Thanks to Marie-from-Sydney for a great recipe!

:) Sydney :)

• marie says

You’re so lucky to have a fig tree!! I wish figs were not that expensive here, I need to make this fig chutney again soon! I’m really glad you liked this recipe Sydney! Marie-from-Sydney ;)

8. Ruel says

Nancy and Belly – each of you very likely has at least one ngbehior with a fig tree and no desire to do anything with the fruit. Stake out these trees. I have knocked on strangers’ doors in my ngbehiorhood, introduced myself, and politely inquired whether they have extra fruit when the tree ripens. Works every time.

Trackbacks

1. [...] If you’ve never eaten a fresh fig, you’re missing out on a late-summer delicacy. The fig tree in my coworker’s backyard is currently exploding with fruit so she brought a bowl of the sweet treats in to work last week. Having recently bookmarked a fig chutney recipe, I nabbed a few to try it out. The spread was delightfully sweet and spicy, perfect with goat cheese on crackers or BBQ’d pork tenderloin. You can find the recipe here. [...]

2. […] I remember the taste. It was only recently though that I started making my own, starting with this fig chutney. In France, we eat some especially for Christmas, as a spread with foie gras (basically it’s […]