Get your free ebook featuring my Top 30 Recipes!

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

The title says it all. It’s pure happiness : a crunchy chocolate cover with a frozen banana and peanut butter core. Decadent and chilling at the same time. If you’ve been suffering from the heat wave, those Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana & Peanut Butter Bites  are the perfect treat for you.

I’ve always loved frozen bananas, I think it’s the perfect snack or easy dessert. Add some peanut butter and I’m a happy woman. And if you like portion control as I do, those bites are your new best friends! But be careful, they are highly addictive, I’m warning you. You might not be able to eat just one or two (I’m guilty for that one….). The nutritional info is for two bites because I’m pretty sure you won’t eat just one. Make sure you have some kids/friends/family around.

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

This recipe calls for melted chocolate, so check out this article if you want to learn how to correctly melt you chocolate. Other than that, it’s super easy! To dip in chocolate, I’ve used two forks. You don’t need fancy equipment.

Make sure to choose medium ripe bananas. Unripe bananas would be tasteless and fully ripped bananas too difficult to handle.

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: Makes about 29 bites

Serving Size: 2 bites

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

KCal: 151 - Protein: 4 g - Fat: 13 g - Carbs: 12.6 g - Fiber: 4,33 g - Sugar: 3,5 g
Old Points: 3 pts - Points+: 5 pts

• 3 medium-ripe bananas, sliced
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (I used smooth PB)
  • 10 oz baking chocolate (I used dark)

1. Arrange half of the banana slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread with peanut butter.

2. Top with the other half of banana slices and freeze for about one hour.

3. In the meantime, cut chocolate in pieces and put 2/3 of it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on medium power for 30 seconds, stir, then repeat in 15 seconds interval until the chocolate has melted. (If you prefer to melt chocolate on the stove top, place a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan filled with simmering water. On low heat, stir chocolate until melted (allow a few minutes). Ensure the chocolate avoids contact with water and steam whilst melting). Add 1/3 remaining chocolate and keep stirring until it is fully melted. It's called tempering chocolate. It will allow the chocolate to have a glossy texture and to set correctly.
  4. Remove bites from the freezer and dip them into melted chocolate. You have to work quickly before the bites start to thaw and get mushy. If you want to take you time, you can work with one bite at a time and leave the others in the freezer. Using two forks, dip one bite in melted chocolate and roll it to cover all sides. Using one fork, remove bite from chocolate. With the other fork, remove excess chocolate and arrange the bite back on baking sheet.
  5. Freeze at least 3 hours or until ready to serve. Keep them in the freezer.

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

posted in All the recipes, Desserts, Frozen Dessert, Gluten free, Paleo, Paleo/Primal, Primal, Snacks, Summer Recipes, Under 300 cal, Vegetarian,

• creative85 says:

OMG!This looks sp yummie!I really need to try this receipe!THX

• Oh goodness, how did I not think of this?! I am so making these asap. My whole family will love them. Thanks :)

• Riley says:

What a yummy snack! I can’t resist! I’ll have to make this asap!

• Marie says:

I hope you’ll have a better self control than I do, and won’t eat everything in one day! Hahaha. But if you do, that’s ok, I won’t tell 😉

• Wow! This sounds delicious! And so simple! Why have I never thought of this before!

• Alessandra says:

I love frozen banana treats, they taste amazing, and the guilt isn’t so bad either. Love the idea of the peanut banana sandwich, thanks for sharing.

• Jen says:

Oh my word. These look AMAZING! I can’t wait to try these…yum! Thank you for posting!

• Jay says:

What is your trick to dipping them in the chocolate?

• Marie says:

I’ve used two forks. Place one banana sandwich on a fork, and dip it into the bowl of melted chocolate. Once it’s fully covered, remove it from chocolate, but stay above the bowl. Using the second fork, remove excess chocolate and delicately transfer the bite on the baking sheet. Don’t worry if your first bites are a bit ugly, mine were too! They’ll look better after 2 or 3, once you get how it works 😉

• says:

how do I print this recipe? Is it computer friendly?

• Lynna says:

I`m loving this! i know i`ll love these for sure~

• Deanna says:

After dipping the first few bananas in chocolate, the others we thawing out…and getting slippery. By about the 6th or 7th “banana sandwich” the chocolate was sliding right off. :/ I have put the bananas back in the freezer and will do a few more once re-frozen, but am I missing something?

• Marie says:

Hi Deanna, i’m sorry it didn’t work well for you. How ripe were your bananas ? Did you let the sandwiches harden long enough in the freezer ?
      You have to work quickly when dipping them in chocolate, before they start to defrost and get mushy. If you want to take your time, try working with only 5 sandwiches (or even less) at a time, keeping the others in the freezer until you’re ready to deep them. Let me know if it works better this way.

• Anna says:

Deanna – a WAY easier way to make them is to cut the bananas into 1 – 2 inch slices. Melt the chocolate and stir the peanut butter into the melted chocolate. Dip the UNFROZEN banana chunks into the chocolate-peanut butter mixture and put onto cookie sheet. I top with raw coconut just to make it pretty. Throw it into the freezer for a few hours. Yumbo!

• Cocoune says:

C’est Juste DÉLICIEUX !!! Merci 😉

• Mike McCurdy says:

Hi Marie,

I am planning on making something special for the bride for Valentine’s Day and this looks perfect, but I just want to make sure- it’s just baking chocolate, not sweetened?

• Marie says:

Oh that’s so sweet! I’m sure she’s gonna love those :) You can use whatever chocolate she prefers, it’s totally up to you. Just make sure it melts well (check on the package for the instructions). Happy Valentine’s Day :)

• Melissa says:

Hi, these look so yummy. Making some now. When all is done and they are frozen after the chocolate is added, do I continue to keep frozen?

• NEIL GILKES says:

wow, my clients are loving your recipes

• Brittney says:

Can I use use brownie mixture instead of the chocolate or will it ruin it?

• Vanessa says:

Is this possible to make with strawberries instead?

• Marie says:

I had never thought of it before but why not! I’m not sure how you’ll be able to make a strawberry ‘sandwich’ but you could try stuffing them with peanut butter and then dipping them into the chocolate!

• Debra Ferrie says:

Just showed my daughter and she wants them! We usually just use chocolate but the PB adds a whole new dimension.

• Ashley says:

For dipping, I used a bamboo skewer, then used a fork to gently slide the banana off. Worked really well!

• Lisa says:

Does the chocolate come out crunchy after it’s set? I’ve tried chocolate covered bananas before, but they didn’t have that crunchy outer shell, which I love on my chocolate covered bananas and strawberries, like Edible Arrangements. Soft chocolate setting is not as good.

• Paul says:

Please do not put the chocolate in the Microwave !!! It is so bad. INSTEAD Place a glass bowl or a silver bowl over the top of a cooking pot with just enough water underneath the bowl on-top so that it is not touching. Have the water boiling with the bowl ontop then add your chocolate pieces and stir around your bowl. The chocolate will melt and not burn. It is so much better. Once the chocolate is all melted take it off the heat and then use it.

• Marie says:

Hi Paul, thanks for you input. I know some people prefer to use the microwave, some other the stovetop, that’s why I included both methods in the recipe.

• NaviTots says:

I just tried them and they turned out great! Next time I’ll need to leave them in the freezer a bit longer before covering them. You’re right – the first couple weren’t pretty, but then I got the hang of it. Thanks for sharing!

• Michelle deBeauvernet says:

Is it ok to freeze the peanut butter and banana sandwiches overnight and then dip them in chocolate in the morning.

• these sound delicious, just pinned!!
    capturing joy with kristen duke recently posted…How to Take your Own Family PicturesMy Profile

• valerie says:

These look Awsome and I will be trying them asap because my family loves chocolate and peanut butter and bananas so these will probably be an almost every day treat for them. Thanks so much for sharing this.

• Teresa Ochoa says:

Omg! these look so good, I want to make them now!!! great recipe!!
    Teresa Ochoa recently posted…Chewy Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

• cecil says:

i make peanut clusters using almond bark. would almond bard do just as well as the other chocklet?

• Bette says:

Thank you for including nutrition information on your recipes. I love cooking but as a homeschool mom of three I don’t always have time to figure out the nutrition in recipes. As a Type 2 Diabetic I end up passing up some really great recipes because I need that carb info. Thankfully, I don’t have to pass up your recipes.

• Yesha says:

I love your recipe! Can I use melted cocoa instead of chocolate bars? thank you…

• Diana says:

I am trying to make these as we speak, and I have a question about the melted chocolate. I melted the chocolate in the microwave as directed on meduim power, and I made about three of the bites. When I went to dip the fourth one, it seems that the cold bananas are causing the chocolate to get too cold and will start to clump up and not stick to the banana bites. I tried reheating the chocolate the same way, but now it’s just a gooey mess and won’t melt right. Any tips on reheating the chocolate?

• Ella Imison says:

This is a healthy snack alternative for kids (and adults as well). Thanks for sharing!

• Sarah says:

I don’t have parchment paper on hand, so will wax paper work? I will be trying these out this weekend.

• Kasey says:

Before dipping them in chocolate I stuck them with tooth picks and used a spoon to help get the chocolate over them, it was easy! And these are so good :) Thanks for the recipe!

• Oh so delicious so easy and definitely so healthy bites.
    Great idea for a quick snack in my work.
    Thanks for sharing them with us :)

• crysthyna says:

• Reshu says:

Can I use nutella instead of chocolate??
    And how much time would I have to freeze if I use nutella?

• marie says:

Hi Reshu, I think it could work with Nutella but you might need to use a little bit of oil (coconut oil or vegetable oil) to make sure it melts correctly. I reckon it would be the same freezing time as chocolate.

• Katie says:

How long do they last in the freezer before going bad? Also, do you think I could stack them in a container (for easier storage) after they’re completely frozen?

• marie says:

I would say at least a month, but it might be even more. They’ve never lasted this long so I can’t be positive 😉 And yes, you can definitely stack them once they’re frozen (but only when they’re frozen)

• Olivia says:

I usually really hate bananas but this was an absolute treat when they were frozen, it tasted so nice, the banana’s were so good with the chocolate they were nice and soft after a few minutes. I should really make these more often, the only part I didn’t like that much was microwaving the chocolate, its much easier in a pot I’ve noticed. This recipe is absolutely delicious. I recommend everyone to try it even if you hate/dislike bananas!

• Brittany says:

Could you use almond butter instead of peanut butter?

• Emily says:

Hello! So it seems like we both we’re thinking these banana bites had to happen:) I was in the middle of posting a recipe for mine, when your recipe came up on my Pinterest home page! Too crazy! So, I hope you don’t mind that I included a link to your recipe on my page to give you credit for also coming up with the idea (obviously way before me:)). Our recipes differ a bit, but the idea is the same. Just discovering your site, and from what I’ve seen, it looks pretty awesome!
    Emily recently posted…Chocolate Covered Banana Nut Butter BitesMy Profile

• marie says:

That’s too funny Emily! Of course I don’t mind, it’s actually super sweet of you, thank you! Heading to your blog now :)

• Eidilia Thomas says:

I made this last night and it was easy and glorious. I though about those little ‘nana nuggets all day and had three for dessert today. Will definitely make them again. Thanks for the great photo tutorial.

• pam boyle says:

I just found this recipe I don’t have baking Chocolate can I use chocolate chips instead?

• Victoria says:

Mine are in the freezer right now, can’t wait! I used all organic ingredients and because organic peanut butter lacks sweetness I mixed in a tbs of raw honey into my peanut butter :)

• Lyssa says:

I just made these and I can’t believe how good they are! I love the crunchy chocolate outside and gooey banana inside. I always want to like those chocolate frozen bananas, but end up hating the hard banana so this is perfect. Good thing I only made 8 or I might have ate the whole pan! Thank you for sharing.

• Sandy says:

I’m going to use almond butter and put a pretzel in between the banana slices. I have some magic shell and may try that rather than melting chocolate. Thanks for the recipe :)

• Elizabeth says:

I tried making these last night, when trying to dip the frozen banana bites in the melted chocolate the chocolate just slides right off! Any suggestions?

• Roxanne Aubert says:

my bananas were very wet so the peanut butter slides right off. Just wipe every piece? It was weird. I don’t recall bananas being wet. I’m making them now.

• Meredith says:

I have some overripe bananas that I don’t want to waste. I just made banana bread recently, so I don’t want to do that again so soon. (My mom keeps buying way too many bananas.) Do you think it would be easier if I froze all the banana slices first before putting the peanut butter in them and freezing the sandwiches? If not, is there a way to freeze these overripe bananas to use in bread later? (I’ve frozen them in the skin before, but it gets really gross and messy when it’s thawed.)

• marie says:

Yes, you could try that. Put the banana slices in the freezer to firm them up a little, and then add the PB. Just make sure they don’t have time to thaw while you add the PB because otherwise you would not be able to freeze them again. Hope this helps!