Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

The title says it all. It’s pure happiness : a crunchy chocolate cover with a frozen banana and peanut butter core. Decadent and chilling at the same time. If you’ve been suffering from the heat wave, those Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana & Peanut Butter Bites  are the perfect treat for you.

I’ve always loved frozen bananas, I think it’s the perfect snack or easy dessert. Add some peanut butter and I’m a happy woman. And if you like portion control as I do, those bites are your new best friends! But be careful, they are highly addictive, I’m warning you. You might not be able to eat just one or two (I’m guilty for that one….). The nutritional info is for two bites because I’m pretty sure you won’t eat just one. Make sure you have some kids/friends/family around.

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

This recipe calls for melted chocolate, so check out this article if you want to learn how to correctly melt you chocolate. Other than that, it’s super easy! To dip in chocolate, I’ve used two forks. You don’t need fancy equipment.

Make sure to choose medium ripe bananas. Unripe bananas would be tasteless and fully ripped bananas too difficult to handle.

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: Makes about 29 bites

Serving Size: 2 bites

KCal: 151 - Protein: 4 g - Fat: 13 g - Carbs: 12.6 g - Fiber: 4,33 g - Sugar: 3,5 g
Old Points: 3 pts - Points+: 5 pts

Ingredients

• 3 medium-ripe bananas, sliced
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (I used smooth PB)
  • 10 oz baking chocolate (I used dark)

Directions

1. Arrange half of the banana slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread with peanut butter.

2. Top with the other half of banana slices and freeze for about one hour.

3. In the meantime, cut chocolate in pieces and put 2/3 of it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on medium power for 30 seconds, stir, then repeat in 15 seconds interval until the chocolate has melted. (If you prefer to melt chocolate on the stove top, place a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan filled with simmering water. On low heat, stir chocolate until melted (allow a few minutes). Ensure the chocolate avoids contact with water and steam whilst melting). Add 1/3 remaining chocolate and keep stirring until it is fully melted. It's called tempering chocolate. It will allow the chocolate to have a glossy texture and to set correctly.
  4. Remove bites from the freezer and dip them into melted chocolate. You have to work quickly before the bites start to thaw and get mushy. If you want to take you time, you can work with one bite at a time and leave the others in the freezer. Using two forks, dip one bite in melted chocolate and roll it to cover all sides. Using one fork, remove bite from chocolate. With the other fork, remove excess chocolate and arrange the bite back on baking sheet.
  5. Freeze at least 3 hours or until ready to serve. Keep them in the freezer.

Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

• says

I hope you’ll have a better self control than I do, and won’t eat everything in one day! Hahaha. But if you do, that’s ok, I won’t tell ;)

1. says

I love frozen banana treats, they taste amazing, and the guilt isn’t so bad either. Love the idea of the peanut banana sandwich, thanks for sharing.

• says

I’ve used two forks. Place one banana sandwich on a fork, and dip it into the bowl of melted chocolate. Once it’s fully covered, remove it from chocolate, but stay above the bowl. Using the second fork, remove excess chocolate and delicately transfer the bite on the baking sheet. Don’t worry if your first bites are a bit ugly, mine were too! They’ll look better after 2 or 3, once you get how it works ;)

2. Deanna says

After dipping the first few bananas in chocolate, the others we thawing out…and getting slippery. By about the 6th or 7th “banana sandwich” the chocolate was sliding right off. :/ I have put the bananas back in the freezer and will do a few more once re-frozen, but am I missing something?

• says

Hi Deanna, i’m sorry it didn’t work well for you. How ripe were your bananas ? Did you let the sandwiches harden long enough in the freezer ?
      You have to work quickly when dipping them in chocolate, before they start to defrost and get mushy. If you want to take your time, try working with only 5 sandwiches (or even less) at a time, keeping the others in the freezer until you’re ready to deep them. Let me know if it works better this way.

3. Mike McCurdy says

Hi Marie,

I am planning on making something special for the bride for Valentine’s Day and this looks perfect, but I just want to make sure- it’s just baking chocolate, not sweetened?

Thanks

• says

Oh that’s so sweet! I’m sure she’s gonna love those :) You can use whatever chocolate she prefers, it’s totally up to you. Just make sure it melts well (check on the package for the instructions). Happy Valentine’s Day :)

4. Melissa says

Hi, these look so yummy. Making some now. When all is done and they are frozen after the chocolate is added, do I continue to keep frozen?

• says

I had never thought of it before but why not! I’m not sure how you’ll be able to make a strawberry ‘sandwich’ but you could try stuffing them with peanut butter and then dipping them into the chocolate!

5. Ashley says

For dipping, I used a bamboo skewer, then used a fork to gently slide the banana off. Worked really well!

6. Lisa says

Does the chocolate come out crunchy after it’s set? I’ve tried chocolate covered bananas before, but they didn’t have that crunchy outer shell, which I love on my chocolate covered bananas and strawberries, like Edible Arrangements. Soft chocolate setting is not as good.

7. Paul says

Please do not put the chocolate in the Microwave !!! It is so bad. INSTEAD Place a glass bowl or a silver bowl over the top of a cooking pot with just enough water underneath the bowl on-top so that it is not touching. Have the water boiling with the bowl ontop then add your chocolate pieces and stir around your bowl. The chocolate will melt and not burn. It is so much better. Once the chocolate is all melted take it off the heat and then use it.

• says

Hi Paul, thanks for you input. I know some people prefer to use the microwave, some other the stovetop, that’s why I included both methods in the recipe.

8. says

I just tried them and they turned out great! Next time I’ll need to leave them in the freezer a bit longer before covering them. You’re right – the first couple weren’t pretty, but then I got the hang of it. Thanks for sharing!

Vanessa

9. Michelle deBeauvernet says

Is it ok to freeze the peanut butter and banana sandwiches overnight and then dip them in chocolate in the morning.

10. valerie says

These look Awsome and I will be trying them asap because my family loves chocolate and peanut butter and bananas so these will probably be an almost every day treat for them. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Trackbacks

1. […] Have you ever had a banana with peanut butter? If you haven’t, I highly suggest you do. It is soooo delicious, but having that combination along with chocolate is even better!!! :D This week on Pinterest, I looked for a frozen dessert that I have never tried before. Instead of trying a common dessert like ice cream, I thought of trying a dessert that involved some type of fruit. I searched: frozen fruit desserts and found a pin called Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Bites! =D Not only did it look appetizing, but it was made out of the things I enjoy eating most! This recipe was found on Pinterest but came from Not Enough Cinnamon (http://notenoughcinnamon.com/2012/07/04/chocolate-covered-frozen-banana-peanut-butter-bites/) […]